With a Lost Job, Can Child Support Be Reduced?


If I loose my job can I have my child support payments reduced or stopped via a modification to the original divorce papers?








Yes, if the change in income is substantial and continuing.  If this is a temporary layoff (example:  GM closing plants for 6-9 weeks) it would not be continuing and subject to a modification.


Spencer E. Williams is the Team Leader over St Louis, St Charles, Indianapolis and Arnold (Jefferson County, MO) offices of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. where he practices exclusively in the area of domestic relations. Mr. Williams has tried numerous cases dealing with complex custody issues, maintenance, business assets and personal asset division.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "With a Lost Job, Can Child Support Be Reduced?"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest
James Smith
7 years 1 month ago

What if the decree is non modifiable?