Ask a Divorce Lawyer: Can one state suspend or revoke my license if it is from another state due to lack of support payment??

Jason BowmanQuestion: My child support case is in Oklahoma, I live in Texas. 

I recently received a letter about suspending my license for failure to pay child support, even though it is being garnished from my paycheck. 

Can one state suspend or revoke my license if it is a license from another state?



Answer: Although I do not practice in Texas, Cordell & Cordell has attorneys who are licensed and located in Texas who would be happy to discuss your case with you. You case is a little different because it would involve two jurisdictions (Oklahoma and Texas). 

Oklahoma does not have the authority to suspend your Texas drivers licenses, but that does not mean that they can’t request that Texas help in the collection of a past due child support obligation. 

It is also important to note, that some states have the ability to suspend more than your drivers license. Some states can suspend professional licenses, hunting and fishing licenses and other types of license that are issued by a state.


Jason Bowman is an Associate Attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. Mr. Bowman is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

Mr. Bowman practiced Domestic Relations for four years with a Louisville firm, and practiced general law for one year. He is an adjunct professor with Indiana Wesleyan University where he teaches business law.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *