Can My Ex Move Out of State Post-Divorce?

By Jennifer Paine

Attorney, Cordell & Cordell

A frequently asked divorce question we receive through our Ask a Divorce Lawyer feature deals with the ex-wife wanting to move away with her boyfriend or new husband and take the children with her.

Divorced dads want to know if such a request is usually granted as it would make sharing child custody nearly impossible and severely hurt chances of regular visitation.

So will an ex-spouse be allowed to move away with the children post-divorce?

As you probably know from your first experience with divorce, the standard for rendering a custody decision is usually the “best interests of the child” standard. The same is true for decisions to modify the first final order.

State statutes and case law define this standard differently, but there are certain factors and/or themes that appear in the majority of states.

For example, in Michigan, where I practice, family courts must consider the following factors:

(a) The love, affection, and other emotional ties existing between the parties involved and the child.

(b) The capacity and disposition of the parties involved to give the child love, affection and guidance and to continue the education and raising of the child in his or her religion or creed, if any.

(c) The capacity and disposition of the parties involved to provide the child with food, clothing, medical care or other remedial care. . . .

(d) The length of time the child has lived in a stable, satisfactory environment, and the desirability of maintaining continuity.

(e) The permanence . . . of the existing or proposed home or homes.

(f) The moral fitness of the parties involved.

(g) The mental and physical health of the parties involved.

(h) The home, school, and community record of the child.

(i) The reasonable preference of the child, if the court considers the child to be of sufficient age to express preference.

(j) The willingness and ability of each of the parties to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing parent-child relationship between the child and the other parent of the child and parents.

(k) Domestic violence, regardless of whether the violence was directed against or witnessed by the child.

(l) Any other factor considered by the court to be relevant 

You will find the same or similar factors in most states.

Most states also have specific statutes for interstate change of domicile (i.e., a request to move a child to a new state). The statutes echo and incorporate the best interest of the child standard but also look to other factors, such as the reasons for the move and the projected benefits or the move.

One common factor is the “environment” factor. Courts strive for stability for children; that is, they rarely render custody decisions that remove children from established custodial environments. The parent residing in the environment usually receives more custodial time.

The outcome of your case will depend on the facts unique to it. These facts include your child’s attachment to you, of course. However, they also include all other facts relevant to your child’s best interests – prospective homes, likelihood for parenting time despite the move, attachment to friends and relatives, schools, and so forth.

An experienced family law attorney will know how to advocate on your behalf.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located across the country should you seek legal assistance.


Jennifer M. Paine is an Associate Attorney in the Detroit, Michigan office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in Michigan, and has been admitted pro hac vice in Illinois, Ohio, and the United States Court of Federal Claims.

Ms. Paine received her BA in English and Mathematics from Albion College and graduated Summa Cum Laude. She received her Juris Doctorate from MSU College of Law and graduated Summa Cum Laude.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

3 Comments on "Can My Ex Move Out of State Post-Divorce?"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest
2 years 1 month ago
With regard to Maryland?Hello, My husband’s ex-wife just informed him that she plans on moving out of state (from MD to PA, a distance of about 90 miles) with their children. The children are 12 and 10, and they love both of their parents. My husband is an EXTREMELY devoted father. As it is, his ex lives 25 miles away and has been living in her father’s house practically since the time of their divorce. His ex has remarried and had two more children, so she’s currently in a four bedroom house with her father, her husband, and their four… Read more »
5 years 6 months ago
Enforcing Parenting Time AgreementsIn addition to consulting a lawyer in your area for a thorough review of your case and the laws applicable to it, consider these options: Informal Court Enforcement: Research the resources in your area for parenting time and custody enforcement. Many states do not require a court motion before a judge to enforce court orders. Other resources, such as parenting time monitors, counselors, and custody mediators, exist. In Michigan, for example where I practice, parents who have missed visitation with their children may file a complaint to request make up time within 56 days of the missed… Read more »
mary adams
5 years 6 months ago

my fiance johnny raffield jr got divorced in december 2009 him and his ex wife has an court oder that he is supposed to get his daughter every other weekkend he don’t his ex moved out of state with her. a month ago was the first time he saw her since last july and he only had her for 5 days this time. he pays child support so he should see her every other weekend.