How To Remove A Restraining Order Without An Attorney

divorce lawyer Alex DurstQuestion:

I need to have a restraining order removed that was placed against me, but I cannot afford an attorney.

I was told I could write a letter to the judge to get the order removed, but I’m unsure what to include in this letter.

How can I have a restraining order removed without the assistance of an attorney?

Answer:

I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Ohio divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

In general, to have a protection order modified or dismissed, the person who wants the modification or dismissal must file a written motion with the court in the county where the order of protection was issued. A motion is sometimes described to people who do not have an attorney representing them as a “letter to the judge.”

Essentially, what you should include in the letter/motion is what you respectfully request that the court do, i.e., remove the protection order, and why it would be right for the court do what you request, i.e., because you are not a threat to her, etc.

Orders of Protection:

Tactical Nuclear Weapons Against Men

You should include as much information as possible about the factual background. Just explain why it is unfair for you to have a restraining order against you, and, more importantly, why it is unnecessary. Make sure that the letter/motion is well-written and grammatically correct with no errors.

After receiving the letter/motion, the court should set the matter for a hearing before the assigned judge or magistrate, which you will have to attend.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Ohio Divorce Lawyer Alexander J. Durst, contact Cordell & Cordell.

10 Comments on "How To Remove A Restraining Order Without An Attorney"

Monica

I got retraiing order I want to know what I need to do it not true

Delroy Jones
I have a protection order against me I stopped going anywhere that we used to go together or any place that we might both show up at the same time she saw me on the bus she spoke spoke back and walk to the back of the bus. She walked to the back of the bus handed me a piece of paper it was her phone number I got off at my stop she got off I said I’m hoping that she would just walk away no she came over where I was sitting, and started talking. She uses the… Read more »
ron

How long can I keep a restraining order for two years and never touched her once

ron

My wife two year restraining order on me I never touched him what do I do

I have an order of protection against me. It was my ex-office manager. All I ever did was text her asking why I lost my job when a new company took over. They dissolved my position and let me go. Then they placed an ad on the net to find someone to do my job. They never offered the new position to me. The office manager never responded to my text messages. She accused me of harassment and stalking her. I have not been back to the workplace, nor ever her home. The judge used texting as the need for… Read more »
Andria Fort

Hi, I have a restraing order againts me from my soon to be ex. It was a one time outburst. Nothing before or after. No bodily harm only a.bunch of records broken.
I dont have momeyfor a lawyer at this tome.
Thanks A Fort ,

Kathleen Adams
1 year 7 days ago
I’ve read that one should NOT contact the judge and that the judge has no obligation to read any correspondence. However, I have seen the form for requesting a court’s motion removing a restraining order. This form is buried, however, and I haven’t been able to relocate it. Interesting how buried it is and that most counties and my state only provide information about keeping an order against someone (job security for them, eh?). I know someone who’s gone to court twice to request the judge remove the restraining order against her husband, but the judge has said no each… Read more »
Joanne vallone
1 year 25 days ago

We are devorced now and I would like to remove restraining order against him

lisa e pacheco
1 year 5 months ago

what if the person was falsely accused of the things that were said in the restraining order and can be proven can the restraining order be lifted then

Jonathan Daniels
1 year 6 months ago

thank you so much, because this is more common than usual. Unfortunately. 🙁 this is good advice and I will act today