Restoring Parental Rights If They Were Terminated

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

My parental rights were terminated in court by my daughter’s mother at a time when I was low on money and my public defender did nothing to help my case.

It is killing me not being a part of my daughter’s life, and I want to be involved but her mother is denying me any visits based on my lack of rights.

Is there any way to have my parental rights restored after they were terminated?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa paternity laws where I am licensed to practice.

If in fact your parental rights were terminated, and I am unsure as to the grounds for termination, the time to appeal has likely passed. This is typically 30 days within the time of the termination order.

If this is the case, your only option is to send a letter, or attempt contact with her mother, or to wait until the child gets older and can make the decision to see you. This can lead to the mother filing harassment, though, so please proceed with caution regarding the same.

It may be best to hire an attorney and draft a correspondence requesting some establishment of some type of limited relationship. You may have to offer support or some other type of help in raising your daughter, although there is no guarantee she will accept the same.

There may also be options if her mother is willing to consider so long as attorneys are involved, which would need to be offered with the request to establish contact.

However, the short answer is that you cannot attempt to overturn the termination of parental rights due to missing your time for appeal, and there are not any subsequent actions under my state’s laws that would offer the opportunity to proceed legally within the court system.

Related Articles:

Termination of Parental Rights

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

2 Comments on "Restoring Parental Rights If They Were Terminated"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest
Kristen Yeager
1 year 5 days ago
My rights were terminated march of 2015, I appealed the decision promptly but lost the appeal. I turned my life around before the termination hearing completed all the requirements of DHS, but lost my case based on the decision that it was a third time around dealing with DHS system. I have continued to show progress and am still visiting my children who are nearly done with the adoption case in the foster family they are in. My question is, is there any way I can get the termination overturned or my rights re-established. I live 3 blocks from my… Read more »
6 months 3 days ago

I live in Omaha and I have the samequestiion if u get answers could u let Me know101