Can she move the children out of state while we’re still legally married?

divorce attorney Jill DuffyQuestion:

I am in the middle of divorce so I am still legally married. My wife wants to move with our child back to the state she used to live in while the divorce is pending.

Can she legally do this without my consent? If she did move, would the divorce case transfer to the new state?


The old saying “possession is nine-tenths the law” holds true when dealing with children whose parents are still married. While parents are married, neither parent needs the other’s consent to take the children out of state.

However, if during the course of their divorce a temporary custody order has been put in place the mother may need the father’s or the court’s permission to leave the state with the child.

If no such orders exist, the father should petition the court for an order prohibiting the mother from leaving the state with the child. Based on the mother’s representations the order is needed to finalize the divorce in the state you currently live in. Because a divorce is already pending in that state, it is unlikely that another state’s court will have jurisdiction (authority) to start a new divorce and custody case.

You should contact an attorney who is licensed in your jurisdiction to further discuss the specifics of your situation. Cordell & Cordell does represent men in divorce nationwide. Thank you for submitting your question.


Jill A. Duffy is an Associate Attorney in the Troy, Mich., office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in the state of Michigan. Ms. Duffy received her BA in Psychology and Spanish and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Oakland University. She received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Can she move the children out of state while we’re still legally married?

    I’m been married for 17 yrs to an extreme narcissistic control freak who throws a fit whenever I want to take our four kids to another state to visit my family and friends. It’s his way or no way and puts us all thru verbal hell until he gets what he wants. He has a mental disorder and it’s getting much worse. He has no sense of hazard and is always putting the kids In danger and it’s just by the grace of God that they haven’t been seriously hurt. It’s close to escalating to physical abuse and I’m scared for the kids. He threatens to get full custody of the kids if I file for a divorce. I don’t know what steps to take to get out from under this tyrants control. My family and friends are supportive but he tries to cut off communication with them. My oldest daughter who’s 16, gets the brunt of his wrath by constant criticizing and needless dicipline. She’s depressed and is seeing a psychologist who knows that the father is the problem. How do I get away from this monster ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>