Am I allowed to have someone other than myself pick up/drop off my child at school?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

I have visitation rights with my child though I am no longer dating the child’s mother.

Am I allowed to have someone other than myself provide transportation pick up or drop off my child to/from school?



First, let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice in the state of Massachusetts, so I am unable to give you any specific advice related to your question. You should always seek the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action in your case.

If your visitation rights were granted by an order of the court or agreement of the parties, then you should reference that order or agreement to see if it addresses the issue. If the document does not address pick up or drop off and who should do it, then as the child’s father, you should have the right to make those decisions, just as any parent would.

If you and the child’s mother are on good enough terms to discuss this issue, then it may be wise to talk about it beforehand to eliminate any surprises and to make sure there are no polices at the daycare or school that would prevent pick up and drop off by a non-parent.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *