Applying For An Injunction For Protection Against Domestic Violence

injunction for protectionQuestion:

My wife has gotten violent with me in the past to the point that I had to call the police. She currently lives with her sister, but randomly stops by to pick fights and harass me.

How long of a process is it to legally prevent her from coming by?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue. Additionally, as I do not have all the facts of your specific case I cannot provide you a full and complete response.

You may be able to apply for an injunction for protection against domestic violence in your state.

Miami Divorce Attorney Amanda Diplan
Miami Divorce Attorney Amanda Diplan

In Florida, where I am licensed to practice law, if a judge finds that an injunction for protection is necessary, oftentimes, they will order temporary exclusive use and possession of the home to the person needing protection. Therefore, if you seek an injunction and it is granted, you may be able to seek temporary exclusive use and possession of the home as well.

Another option is to file for divorce and also request exclusive use and possession of the home. If granted, your wife should not be permitted to enter the marital home unannounced without first communicating with you, and/or any other parameters ordered by the court.

Remember I am unable to provide you with anything more than domestic violence and divorce tips. I would encourage you to contact a domestic litigation attorney licensed in your area who can examine the full details of your situation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Florida divorce lawyer Amanda Diplan, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *