Can a father stop paying support when his minor has a baby?


I’m 16 and pregnant, and my baby is due in May. My father says he can stop paying child support when my child is born. Is that true? Can a father stop paying child support if his minor daughter has a baby?


Each state has different provisions which control child support.  I do not practice in Missouri so I cannot tell you whether there is a statute which terminates child support upon the birth of a child.  You need to contact an attorney licensed in Missouri, Cordell & Cordell has many attorneys licensed and located in Missouri who would be happy to help.

Unless there is a statute to the contrary, your father must continue to pay support pursuant to the terms of the original Order for Support.  You are still a child and although he is not responsible for supporting your child, he is responsible for supporting you. Are you able to get a copy of that original Order?  The Order likely required him to pay until you are 18 years of age or 19, so long as you are pursuing a high school diploma.  There may be a state statute which requires him to pay until that time as well.




Erica Christian is an Associate Attorney in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. She is licensed to practice law in the state of Wisconsin. She is a member of the Wisconsin Bar Association, the Family Law Section and the Children’s Law Section.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Can a father stop paying support when his minor has a baby?

    I owe my ex not the state back child support 30,000 I’m giving her payments on it and on top paying child support by the state my kids will be 18 years old in 2 months what will happen to the 30,000 I owe the mom can the state make me pay that

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *