Can I emancipate myself from my daughter?



I have a daughter who turned 18 and the support contract ended at that point. Then the state of Oregon sent my daughter a form to fill out so support would continue while she was going to college. I don’t feel I should have to be responsible for her now that she is an adult. I was wondering if I could emancipate myself from her some how or if there was some other way to get the support to stop?



I am not licensed to practice law in Oregon and am not familiar with a statute that would extend support payments beyond the age a child is no longer a minor, so I don’t know how to advise you on the matter. Terminating parental rights might be an option; however, it is drastic and likely to cause long-lasting negative effects.
You should contact a domestic litigation attorney in Oregon to get state specific advice on your situation.


Nancy R. Shannon, a Nebraska native, is an Associate Attorney in the Omaha, Nebraska office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. She is licensed in the state of Nebraska where her primary practice is exclusively in the area of domestic relations. Ms. Shannon received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Doane College and her Juris Doctor from University of Nebraska – Lincoln, where she was a finalist in a Moot court competition and active in Client Counseling activities.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *