Ask a Divorce Lawyer: Can I have my alimony reduced if my ex moves in with another man?

Question: I’ve been divorced for 15 years and am paying alimony to my ex wife of $200 per week with no end in sight. Both of our child are grown and out of the house. 

She now has a boyfriend who has moved in with her. Is there anyway to get this amount reduced or even done away with all together? 



First, I must state that I am not licensed in Georgia, although Cordell & Cordell, P.C. has attorneys who are licensed and located in Georgia and would be happy to discuss your case with you. 

Alimony and the ability to modify alimony will vary by state to state. Most states will terminate alimony if one spouse dies or remarries. Some states will modify alimony if your former spouse co-habitats with another adult or if circumstances have changed to such a degree that it would be considered substantial and continuing.

Regardless, only a Court can modify a previous order of support and until that time you should continue to follow the orders of the Court or face possible contempt charges. An attorney in Georgia will be able to properly analyze your case and file the proper motion to modify alimony.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *