Ask a Divorce Lawyer: Can I object to the modification of the amount of child support?

Question: Child support is already being deducted out of my paycheck. So how do I file an objection to a new notice of registration saying more money will be taken out of my paycheck for out-of-state child support?


Answer: Because I do not practice in Georgia, and I do not know what state the support was ordered in, I really cannot give you an answer as to whether you can object to the modification of the support amounts.  In most jurisdictions, child support is determined by applying a formula to either your gross or net monthly income.  There may be a statute which provides for automatic increases in support or your ex may have went to court for a modification of the original order.   

You should contact an attorney licensed in Georgia or the state where the child support was originally ordered.  Cordell & Cordell has many attorneys licensed and located in Georgia who would be happy to review your situation.


Erica Christian is an Associate Attorney in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. She is licensed to practice law in the state of Wisconsin. She is a member of the Wisconsin Bar Association, the Family Law Section and the Children’s Law Section.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *