Does losing a job qualify me for reduced support payments?

Jason BowmanQuestion: How do I modify (lower) my child support payments if I’ve been laid off from my job?

What’s the process (if I don’t use an attorney) and how long does it take?


Answer: I do not practice in Texas, but Cordell & Cordell has attorneys in Texas that would be willing to assist you with your issue.

Generally speaking child support is modifiable if you can show a substantial and continuing change. Being laid off from your job may constitute a substantial and continuing change. In order to modify child support a person needs to move the Court to modify the existing Order. Until the Court modifies the existing Order, then your child support obligation can not change.

The best process to use is to contact an attorney and have them prepare and file the proper documents to modify the obligation. You could also contact your local county clerk for directions as to what you would need to do in your jurisdiction.


Jason Bowman is an Associate Attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. Mr. Bowman is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University. Mr. Bowman practiced Domestic Relations for four years with a Louisville firm, and practiced general law for one year. He is an adjunct professor with Indiana Wesleyan University where he teaches business law.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *