Ask a Divorce Lawyer: How do I move my child support to a different state

Question: My ex and I got divorced in New Jersey. We both are now living in Georgia. 

What do I need to do to move my child support to Georgia?


Answer: First, I must state that I am not licensed in Georgia, although Cordell & Cordell, P.C. has attorneys who are licensed and located in Georgia and would be happy to discuss your case with you.

The process of establishing child support in a state will vary from state to state. You may contact the Georgia State agency that is in charge of child support to seek guidance about moving child support from New Jersey to Georgia.

If it is your goal to modify your child support obligation then you will need to ask a Georgia court to assume jurisdiction and modify child support based upon you and your ex-wife’s current income. An attorney in Georgia will be able to assist you in that matter.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *