If our kids are on my insurance, should I be eligible for a credit?

Question: My former wife recently put my children on my health and dental insurance.

I don’t pay a dime for my insurance so therefore I’m saving my former wife money and putting it in her pocket.

Am I still eligible for a credit for carrying the health and dental insurance since she no longer carries it?



First, I must preface my answer that I am not licensed to practice law in Florida and you should contact a domestic litigation attorney in your state before taking action. Cordell & Cordell has attorneys licensed and located in Florida who would be happy to help you with your case.

I would doubt you will be able to claim a deduction when you aren’t paying any money out of pocket for the expense. Even if you were paying for the health insurance, you would only be able to deduct the amount paid for your kids, not yourself.


Nancy R. Shannon, a Nebraska native, is an Associate Attorney in the Omaha, Nebraska office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. She is licensed in the state of Nebraska where her primary practice is exclusively in the area of domestic relations. Ms. Shannon received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Doane College and her Juris Doctor from University of Nebraska – Lincoln, where she was a finalist in a Moot court competition and active in Client Counseling activities.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *