Ask A Lawyer: Can I Get a DNA Test Court Ordered?


My wife and I are separated and about to go through a divorce. There was a child born during the marriage who I suspect is not mine. I did not suspect this at the time of birth and I signed the birth certificate.

Is it even worthwhile to have DNA tests done on the child?

If so, how do I go about getting it ordered since the child is with her?





Most states permit a parent to challenge the paternity of a child at the time of the divorce, regardless of name on birth certificate or other indicia of paternity.  Check with your divorce attorney regarding the procedure for requesting testing.


Erik H. Carter is a Senior Attorney of the Cordell & Cordell, P.C. office in Indianapolis, Indiana as well as the Litigation Manager of both the Indianapolis and Pittsburgh offices. Mr. Carter has practiced since 1993 as an attorney. He is licensed in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania as well as the Northern District of Indiana and the Southern District of Indiana.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *