Ask A Lawyer: Divorce In The Philippines


I am an American now living in the Philippines, and I made a mistake by marrying the wrong Filipina. I want a U.S. divorce from her. I have a friend who was in the same situation and got a U.S. divorce without leaving the Philippines a year ago.

I am on Social Security and no longer have a home in the United States; therefore I cannot afford to come there for a time to accomplish a divorce.

The U.S. Embassy here in the Philippines tells me that getting a U.S. divorce is possible in my situation. I have heard that once the divorce has been acquired, I can simply have it legally entered into record here in the Philippines.



Most US states have residency requirements to be able to file a divorce in their courts. I cannot comment on your friend’s situation as it relates to your situation.

If you are in the military, or in a civilian position connected with the military, you might be able to contact JAG.


Erik H. Carter is a Senior Attorney of the Cordell & Cordell, P.C. office in Indianapolis, Indiana as well as the Litigation Manager of both the Indianapolis and Pittsburgh offices. Mr. Carter has practiced since 1993 as an attorney. He is licensed in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania as well as the Northern District of Indiana and the Southern District of Indiana.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *