Ask A Lawyer: Does Child Support Automatically Stop?


I have no paperwork from my divorce ten years ago. My attorney has since died and his office no longer exists.

My question is: Now that my children are finishing college, will my child support automatically stop or do I need to file papers on anything?

Where do I begin to make sure that my mandatory support stops when it is supposed to?



You need to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction as child support guidelines vary from state to state.  You should be able to contact the Court where you were divorced to request a copy of your Decree of Divorce. 

The Decree may outline the terms for the termination of child support.  If the Decree is not clear, your attorney should be able to advice you regarding the terminating factors in your state.


Tiffany A. McFarland is a Senior Attorney and Litigation Manager with Cordell & Cordell, P.C. in the Overland Park, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri offices. Ms. McFarland practices exclusively in the area of domestic relations. 

Tiffany is licensed in the state of Missouri and the state of Kansas and is certified as a Guardian ad Litem.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *