Ask A Lawyer: Ex-Girlfriend Is Threatening Me


My ex-girlfriend left me in April of 2007, but she is now harassing me by writing letters to my place of employment.  She is trying to get me fired and making other threats in general. I have contacted the police to no avail.

She took my child with her and I am sending a check monthly to her mailing address. Even though we were never married is there some law that I can use to prevent her from contacting me?




If you are sending her a check pursuant to court order, then that court should have jurisdiction to limit her contact with you and schedule parenting time.  If there is no court case concerning the child, you can open one and request that she be limited in her contact. 

Or you can contact an attorney who does civil litigation and seek an injunction or restraining order, requesting that she cease and desist this behavior.


Erik H. Carter is a Senior Attorney of the Cordell & Cordell, P.C. office in Indianapolis, Indiana as well as the Litigation Manager of both the Indianapolis and Pittsburgh offices. Mr. Carter has practiced since 1993 as an attorney. He is licensed in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania as well as the Northern District of Indiana and the Southern District of Indiana.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *