Is It Possible To Pay Less And See The Kids More?


I am paying almost 650 dollars a month for support on 2 children plus almost 300 dollars for their insurance.

What option do I have to survive and pay a little less so I can live without a second job all the while never seeing my kids.

When we divorced it was called a mutual dissolution and the money was agreed upon based that she was not working and was in between jobs. She has since started working and is making more than the paperwork said. What are my options?




You should consider filing for a modification of child support.  Before doing so, however, you need to consult an attorney who can run the numbers for you to see what kind of difference the new facts make.

If the amount you’re paying for insurance was not considered when the original child support order was made, you’ll want to make sure to include that amount if your state statutes provide that option.  Also, her income will probably not make as much of a difference in your child support as you think.

Your child support obligation is driven more by your income than the income of the other party.


Claudia J. Weaver is an Associate Attorney with Cordell & Cordell, P.C., in Overland Park, Kansas. Ms. Weaver practices exclusively in the area of domestic relations.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *