Ask A Lawyer: No Assets, No Children Equals Simple Divorce?


I am separated from my wife after only 4 months of marriage.  I am in the military and she does not want to sign the separation papers for whatever reason. I know it is expensive to get a lawyer. We have already split all property, have no bills together and no children.

What should I do? She has not been working since Jan of 08 due to simply not wanting to. I have tried to get her to work and pay her back taxes. Should I just file separately?





Your best option is to speak with a JAG or maybe your local bar association concerning “no asset, no children” divorces.  Many local bar associations offer free or reduced fee assistance for simple divorces (simple from a legal perspective, not simple to the participants).


Erik H. Carter is a Senior Attorney of the Cordell & Cordell, P.C. office in Indianapolis, Indiana as well as the Litigation Manager of both the Indianapolis and Pittsburgh offices. Mr. Carter has practiced since 1993 as an attorney. He is licensed in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania as well as the Northern District of Indiana and the Southern District of Indiana.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *