Can Child Support Orders Be Entered Without You Knowing?

Question:Colorado Divorce Attorney

My question deals with child support and paternity laws.

I recently was informed that there was a strong possibility that an ex-girlfriend from many years ago is claiming I am the father of her child.

I’ve been told it’s possible a default judgment was entered against me ruling me as the child’s father and setting child support, which I have never paid since I was never served nor informed of this ruling.

What I would like to know is whether I have a warrant against me for unpaid child support, and if so, will they keep me in jail?


While I am not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, I can provide you with some general divorce help for men regarding your child support and paternity law question.

If you are concerned that there may be an active warrant for delinquent child support payments, it would be ideal to have an attorney contact the local child support agency to see if there are any arrears and child support enforcement procedures being commenced.

How Much Should You Be Paying?

Child Support Calculators

It will also be important to determine exactly what legal orders are in place, if any, with regards to a child. Depending on where the case was filed, you may need to contact a few different courts to determine if there are any existing orders.

Again, I am unable to provide you with legal advice on divorce and this should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a mens divorce attorney for financial advice on divorce and any further child support laws questions.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce lawyer, including Boulder Divorce Lawyer Maile Kobayashi, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *