Can We Divorce As Green Card Holders?

international divorceQuestion:

My wife and I are green card holders and our marriage is from outside the United States. Can we go through the divorce process under U.S. law?


I am not licensed to practice in your state and cannot provide you legal advice. However, I can give general tips regarding your situation based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Yes, every state has jurisdictional requirements setting forth how long you or your spouse must have resided in the state before you can petition the court for a divorce. In Oklahoma, where I am licensed to practice, a person must reside in Oklahoma for six months before he or she may file a petition for divorce.

Tulsa Divorce Attorney Colby C. Pearce
Tulsa Divorce Attorney Colby C. Pearce

Many states have similar residency requirements. I recommend you speak with an experienced family law attorney in your state to determine whether or not you meet your state’s residency requirement.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma divorce lawyer Colby Pearce, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *