Can I Appeal A Child Support Ruling?

Texas divorce lawyerQuestion:

Do child support laws allow me to appeal a child support ruling?

My ex-wife is the custodial parent and I pay child support to her, but the children have been living with me almost exclusively since she became ill.

Because of this new arrangement tried to have modify child support or have it completely terminated since I am essentially the custodial parent now. However, the judge refused to even lower the support on the chance my ex-wife regains her health and we revert back to the original child custody agreement.

Do I have any recourse to appeal the judge’s ruling? I’m paying child support yet the children live with me!


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Texas child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

In Texas, if your case is heard by an Associate Judge in the child support court then you have seven days after the order is signed to request a de novo hearing to the referring court.

De novo is Latin for “anew” essentially meaning starting over, or an appeal, allowing the referring court to issue a new decision. In Texas, the referring court would be the district court with a district judge.

Read Related Article:

Can I Appeal My Divorce?

I would advise you to hire a mens divorce attorney to not only handle the child support issue but to establish orders naming you the parent with whom the children live with.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction for advice on divorce laws.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Amanda L. Clepper, an associate attorney in the San Antonio, Texas, office, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

4 comments on “Can I Appeal A Child Support Ruling?

    how can you appeal on a child support case were the dad don’t know where is the child because the mother took him.

    how can i appeal my case im on ssdi and they clam i have arear of $ 37000 knowing i was filing foe my ssdi for 36 mounths and was unable to pay anything … i have been studying on due process and i know they cant do that but how do i go about the process that i need to take i think its unfair to say i o the $ when i never sing for a loan though them …. by due process and constitution right they can tack anything from me …i need help!!!!!!!

    thanks joe

    Appeal Child Support Ruling
    You’re DAMN right you can get your support changed. Call me.

    Mookie Stevens

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *