Can I force the school to give me access to education records?

Question:mens divorce lawyer

I am supposed to have a 50% say in educational decisions concerning my son because I share joint legal custody. However, my ex won’t involve me in any of his school decisions and fails to forward his report cards and transcripts to me.

Can I force the school to give me access to his education records?


You should have a joint legal custody plan that sets forth that you share equal access to such information.

As such, you should not have a problem gaining access to your child’s education records and can request copies of your son’s grades from his school.

If the school does not recognize you as a custodial parent and you have court papers stating that you are, you should show the school the court papers and they should comply.

For more information on this topic or to obtain specific answers to your situation based on your facts and circumstances contact an attorney in your jurisdiction. Please be advised that my answering of this question does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide.


Katherine V. Lewis is an Associate Attorney in the Tulsa, Oklahoma office of Cordell & Cordell where she practices family law exclusively with a focus on men’s divorce. Ms. Lewis is licensed in the state of Oklahoma. Ms. Lewis received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in history from the University of Oklahoma. She then continued her education to receive her Juris Doctor from the University of Oklahoma College of Law.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *