Can My Wages Be Garnished For Child Support?

divorce lawyer Jill MasseyQuestion:

My ex-wife keeps threatening to have my wages garnished for child support even though there was never a court order entered addressing child support.

Can she get a wage garnishment without a court order?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Kentucky child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Your ex-wife will not be able to garnish your wages without an order of the court. In most jurisdictions, the tool used to garnish wages is referred to as a Wage/Income Withholding Order.

The court will not issue a Wage/Income Withholding Order without first determining the amount of child support owed, if any.

Read Related Articles:

Wage Garnishment

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Louisville Divorce Lawyer Jill A. Massey, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *