Can One State Garnish Wages For A Child Support Order Entered In Another State?

Houston divorce lawyerQuestion:

I pay child support to my ex-wife and child who live in the state that originally issued the order.

I have since moved out of state and now my new state is trying to garnish my wages.

Can one state garnish wages for a child support order entered in another state?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Texas child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

If your ex-wife and child still reside in the original state then it is more likely that your new state is acting as an enforcement agency to enforce the support order from your previous state, as opposed to your case being transferred to your new state.

If this is the case then both states may communicate with each other to obtain information concerning your child support order and any payment receipts.

An enforcement agency in either state can submit an income withholding order to garnish your support obligation from your wages as opposed to you making direct payments.

Any payments garnished would be redirected to the state the original order was issued to be distributed to your ex-wife.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Texas Divorce Lawyer Ijeoma A. Ugoezi, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *