Can I Reduce Child Support If My Ex Remarries?

child supportQuestion:

Will my child support obligation go down if my ex-wife gets remarried?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and am unable to give you legal advice, I can give you some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I do practice in Virginia, child support is based on the relative income of the parents. This does not included their spouses. So, if the party who receives child support marries a very wealthy individual, it will not lower the amount of child support to be paid.

There are ways to modify child support if you can prove that there has been a substantial and material change. That would include changes to income and changes in the amount of time that the child spends with the non-custodial parent.

Child support is very jurisdiction-specific and requires a specialized knowledge of local law. For these reasons I would suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in family law matters in your jurisdiction.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than tips on these matters, so please contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to obtain specific advice as to the laws of your state and how they impact your case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

One comment on “Can I Reduce Child Support If My Ex Remarries?

    Question: my son’s exwife has remarried, she has the marital home. My son pays her an enormous amount of child support. the new husband has moved in to the martial home of my son and his exwife. She is reaping the benefits of this, she called my son to say something needed to be fixed and he needs to come up with half of the money. It is actually the shower in the master bedroom. Really, the new guy must think he has it made. How does my son get his support reduced? I agree he is responsible for the children, but shouldn’t he somehow get a reduction when the new husband is living in the home my son’s name is on?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.