Can My Wife Kick Me Out By Changing The Locks?

marital homeQuestion:

My wife has forced me out of the home we own together by changing the locks and security codes.

Can she still make me pay half of the mortgage payments until the house is sold? Does she have the right to force me out in this way?


Please be advised that I am barred in Pennsylvania and will answer your question based on my experience in Pennsylvania.

In this state, a party cannot force the other party out of the marital residence unless there is a restraining order in place or the court grants exclusive possession of the marital residence to one of the parties pending the divorce.

If a party changes the locks to the marital residence, unless there is such a court order in place, the other party can call the police to be let back into the marital residence.

In Pennsylvania, the party who remains in the marital residence is solely responsible for payment of all bills associated with the marital residence, unless the court orders otherwise. Here, in general, the court will not look at who paid the mortgage payments, but rather how much equity there is to be divided at time of equitable distribution.

You should schedule an initial consultation with an attorney barred in your state at the earliest opportunity to discuss the facts of your case and your options for relief further.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Jaimie Collins, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

One comment on “Can My Wife Kick Me Out By Changing The Locks?

    I am residing In Illinois from 2 years. My wife has separated from me and took my son for more than 5 months. My divorce is in the court she locked the doors and I have no place to go. Please tell me what is my legal right. I am new immigrant here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.