Can You Prevent Your Wife From Moving Out of State While Pregnant?

georgia divorce lawyerQuestion:

My wife is pregnant with our child and wants to leave the state to return to her family.

I am about to file for divorce, but I want her to remain in our state so I can be there for the child.

What can I do to prevent my wife from moving out of state while she is pregnant?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Georgia divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

There are no means by which you can force your wife to stay in the state.

However, it would probably be best to file your divorce complaint and have her personally served while she is still residing in your state. Where I practice, doing so would allow the courts to retain jurisdiction regardless of where she decides to live.

Further, once the baby is born the court will likely have jurisdiction to require the child’s presence for visitation.

Read Related Articles:

Pregnancy and Divorce

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Atlanta, Georgia Divorce Lawyer Amber R. Piotrowicz, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *