Child Support and Termination of Parental Rights

By Rachel Brucks

Men’s Divorce Lawyer, Cordell & Cordell

Many divorced dads are fed up paying child support for a child who refuses to see them. It’s hard dealing with a child who does not want anything to do with you.

Some dads wonder if it’s possible to terminate their parental rights to the child in order to stop the payment of child support.

In most states, termination of parental rights does not necessarily terminate the obligation to provide child support (unless the termination is occurring so that someone else, such as a stepparent, can adopt the child).

Under most jurisdictions, the rights a parent has to their children are entirely separate from the duties a parent has towards their children.

Parental rights include things such as the right to visitation, to receive information about your child’s health care, to consult with the other parent regarding the child’s education, and even to possibly receive a portion of your child’s earnings (your previous divorce decree, court order, or state statutes should outline what rights you currently have).

Parental duties include things such as paying child support and providing for the physical well being of your child. The Court’s obligation is to ensure that measures taken are in the best interest of the child, and children need to be provided for, so a termination of parental rights does not necessarily terminate parental duties.

In other words, a parent’s decision to voluntarily give up his or her rights to visitation, etc., may not have any effect on his or her obligations to still provide for the child through child support.

You should speak to a men’s divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction for specific legal advice about the laws in your state. Cordell & Cordell has divorce attorneys located in 16 states.


men's divorce lawyer Rachel BrucksRachel A. Brucks is a Staff Attorney in the Fort Worth, Texas office of Cordell & Cordell where she practices domestic relations exclusively. Ms. Brucks is licensed in the state of Texas. Ms. Brucks received her Bachelors degrees in English and Political Science from the University of Texas at Arlington. She received her Masters in Literature and Gender Studies from Texas State University, San Marcos; and received her Juris Doctor from Southern Methodists University, Dallas.

End of Content Icon

17 comments on “Child Support and Termination of Parental Rights

    I live in the state of Georgia. I want to give up my parental rights but I still wish to pay my child support. I wish only to give up my rights but I still want to keep my duties to the child; the reason that I want to do this is because for the past 12 years my ex wife will not leave me alone. I cannot have piece and I cannot move forward in successful relationships. She harrases my spouse, brings up the past constantly, uses the child against me, I have not say so in any co-parenting (it is her way or no way). I would just like to pay my child support and let her have the rights to the child so that I can live my life in peace. Is there an attorney that can help me with this?

    My ex husband (haven’t even legally divorced)

    Kept my baby.

    She is turning 6 in 3 weeks.

    He calls for child support and i have never missed a payment.

    He finally admits he was wrong for how he treated me (cheating, psychological abuse, and lies).

    However, he refuses to let her come to the USA. He lives in Argentina, but i am from north America (destably I’m inter racial raised in America with American roots and everything. )

    I don’t want anything to do with being her mom anymore. I don’t want to pay child support, i don’t want to send gift money for her school supplies, or gifts

    He won’t share her

    He’s the high school drop out, with no completion.
    He is the one that smoked so much pot that we lived off of my mom when I was 19 and pregnant and he was too smoked up on his marijuana. (Supposedly, his new girlfriend of the last 3 years got him to quit and find my God. )

    He’s the one with no desire for college.

    All i want is to let him have what he is succeeding at having.

    My little girl growing up manipulated by an ex gangster, calling some other woman mom, and not interacting with my

    -straight A and B college student self
    -over night working EMT for the Hospital
    -non smoking
    -non drinking

    I do not get custody because of the hague convention

    I left him to come to the USA to set up financial stability

    To find it is harder and longer than i thought.

    I regret being her mom.

    If her stepmom adopts her can i just pretend she never existed?
    I don’t even get to talk to her or see her, she isn’t mine, spiritually or emotionally.

    Her DNA is all we share.
    It’s too late

    And i refuse to live-in south America because of getting pregnant with what i consider to be the satanic arse that got ms pregnant and broke me.

    I need help I want my rights terminated from a child I have never seen he is 2 1/2 the mother took off and didn’t tell me where she was cut off all ties with me and my family and has blocked us on social media!! Now she is married and heard he is calling this other dude Dad which is fine with me the mom is nuts anyways but this child don’t me and I don’t know what I am supposed to do don’t even know if it is mine!! She has apparently filed child support on me but don’t really think it is fair since she took off! Desperate Dad over here help!!

    If my ex-wife and I are unable to affectively co-parent, after almost 8 years of trying, and I decide to walk away from my children, but do not voluntarily revoke my parental rights… If SHE were to be the initiator of removing my rights, and was successful, would I still be obligated to pay child support? FYI, I am current on my child support, and I have remained so since our separation, and divorce. Also, there is a step father who dismisses my fatherhood, on a regular basis, and my ex wife encourages this. I’m tired of being minimalized as a parent, and my children being oblivious too it. The longer my impressionable children are under their influence, the more they are dismissing me, as their father. I have always kept my visitation engagements, as well. Thank you, for any advice you can provide.

    My daughter is getting a divorce in Oklahoma. Her husband is giving up paternal rights. Can she still get child support for their 3 children?

    If i signed over rights to my daughter so she could be adopted by step father over ten years ago. Can the state still take my tax checks cause she still hasnt been legally adopted even though i signed off years ago .. I live in laporte indiana

    My rights were terminated 16 years ago..I got a order to pay child support 7 years ago..I lost all rights, can see my children or anything. the court system ordered that by failing to comply. Now they want 600 a month for back childsupport. My license is suspended and I can’t get a bank account. Can the state of Florida do this?

    My boyfriend want sign right way because mother to child don’t want do dna test done she said he sign right way she going get him for child support

    if someone’s paying childsupposrt for the last 5 years since the Child been born and hasnt seen the Child caus3 the mother refuses to could they sign there rights off and not have to pay child support

    Does a father that refuses to payy child support have the right to see a child and can the court force the mother legally if she deny him access

    My brother had been locked up for most of his adult life he recently got released 2 years ago. He recently was able to get a job in the oil fields child support started taking out from his paycheck, long story short he quit due to a lot being taken out. Our mother took the child’s mother to court for grandparents rights which in Texas there is none. The child’s mother did not retain a lawyer so she gave in and agreed to sharing custody as if our mother was the child’s father. My brother has no relationship with the child and the child’s mother has a husband that has been in the child’s life for almost all the child’s life, the child is 12 years old, as I stated before my brother just got out of prison 2 years ago. I would like to get a lawyer for my brother. Can someone help us?

    Can I request the court to remove the mother’s parental rights for not paying child support, medical expenses, contacting, and visiting the children? I am currently a full-time professional and full-time single dad of two young children. After 3 years of marriage and approximated 1 1/2 years of pending for divorce, my ex-wife finally defaulted the divorce as she knew she could not get the children custody from Child Protective Service as an anchor for child support. My final divorce comes with an interlocutory order from the court, which I am restricted establishing my children primary residence within a county or surround counties. The mother’s visitation required third party supervision under my expenses, while she is mandated to pay $252.00 per month child support plus 50% of medical expenses. The final divorce creed, both parties inform each others place of residence, phone number, place of employment and etc. It has been a year, the mother refused utilizing the third party visitation. She has not contact regarding to the children or paying any expenses include child support. I just want my children and I are not associate with her, we just want to live a peaceful life without being stalked. Besides, I want to move anywhere in the world with new opportunities. Residency restriction gives me a limited professional opportunity. Also the third party supervised visitation fee is not cheap, ranging from $900.00 to $1,500 per month. Thanks!

    If your talking about VA disability yes they can take it, especially if you are working and claiming disability. Again this depends on the judge your situation and living conditions you might can get it lowered. Typically terminating rights ends cs obligations so I don’t know why this lawyer is giving clearly inaccurate advice. It is best to terminate your rights during your divorce especially if the other side is saying your dangerous or a alcoholic or what not and not much later down the road when the child is a teenager and you two are just estranged. The court reinforces to the child that your obligation to the children is money only, so even after 18 the kids hit you up for all types of bills and support, and if you refuse they won’t talk to you anymore. Also if you terminate young there is a good chance another will adopt from her end, meaning a better chance the judge will sign it. State laws determine if SSD disability can be garnished for cs.

    What if the courts took your parental rights even though you did not want to lose them. Do you still have to pay child support. Plus your. Only income is disability

    parental rights taken.
    Do you know about oklahoma’s and when parental rights are taken by the court due to disability from the military?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *