Child Support Laws: Other Options For Paying Child Support

Texas divorce lawyerQuestion:

My wife and I are getting a divorce and she is requesting I pay 35% of my net income as child support for our four children.

She plans on using that child support money to buy a new house after our divorce is finalized. I don’t think my child support payments should be that high, particularly if she is going to use it for her own interests.

Is there an option where we both pay a reasonable amount into a trust of some type that can only be used for supporting our kids? If not, can I obtain part ownership of any home she buys using child support I have paid her?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Texas child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

The short answer to your question is not really, unless the two of you can agree to some sort of arrangement involving a trust account. Otherwise the court will fashion child support for you the way they do for everyone else.

In my state, child support is a guideline formula used to calculate what the custodial parent will pay to support the children. So, you are correct to assume that you will be obligated to pay 35% of your net income to your spouse for child support for four children, at least according to Texas child support laws.

This a guideline amount and there are other factors the court can take into account to increase or reduce child support outside of guidelines. The court is not going to allow you to get any interest in property she acquires after the divorce.

Keep in mind that whatever house she buys is going to be the primary residence of your children, thus the court will find that her use of child support to purchase a home the children will be living in is a reasonable way to use those funds.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction for financial advice on child support laws.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Amanda L. Clepper, an associate attorney in the San Antonio, Texas, office, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *