Child Support: Why The Need For Wage Garnishment

Question:Colorado Divorce Attorney

My child support question is about wage garnishment. I have a monthly child support obligation that I have never failed to meet.

Recently I switched from writing checks to paying electronically, and now my is refusing to accept the electronic checks. So the child support enforcement agency is now garnishing my wages and treating me like a deadbeat.

How can this be? Can they garnish wages simply because my ex is refusing to cash the child support payment via electronic check?


While I am not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, I can provide you with some general divorce help for men regarding your child support question.

From the information that you have provided, it appears that you have and continue to meet your child support obligation. Unfortunately, your ex-wife is making things difficult by refusing to accept your payment.

Your county’s child support enforcement agency can utilize any lawful means they choose to enforce a child support order. This can include an income assignment or seizing assets. Here, it is likely they assumed that you were behind in payment or refusing to pay.

In this case, it may be helpful to contact the child support enforcement office in your county and explain your situation. If you provide proof of the electronic payment to your ex-wife, and tell the child support enforcement agency about your consistent payments, they may opt to cease the wage garnishment.

Child Support Article:

Misconceptions About Garnishing Wages

One option for payment in the future is to send the payment to the Family Support Registry and then they can forward that to your ex-wife. This may assist in clearing up any issues with her refusing payments.

Again, I am unable to provide you with legal advice on divorce and this should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a mens divorce attorney for financial advice on divorce and child support questions.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce lawyer, including Boulder Divorce Lawyer Maile Kobayashi, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *