Daughter’s Mother Fled the State: How Do I Serve Her or Even Find Her?

Question:elisabeth flemming attorney nevada

I reported domestic violence against my daughter’s mother recently and filed for child custody.

Now, she has fled the state and is living in another state. How do I get her served or even find her?



While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

My advice to you depends on whether she has possession of the child and has absconded with your daughter.  If that is the case I would first recommend you report this to your local police agency as she is engaging in parental concealment/kidnapping.

Regarding the service issue, many process servers will do what is called a skip trace to see if they can locate her for personal service.  However, after you have exhausted these avenues, many courts will allow service by publication and waive the personal service requirement.  Then if she fails to appear or participate in the litigation you will be awarded a Decree of Custody by default.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nevada divorce lawyer Elisabeth Flemming, contact Cordell & Cordell. 

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *