De-establishing Paternity To Stop Child Support Payments


I am being charged child support for a child I am not the biological father of. What can I do to have the payments stopped?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general information concerning paternity.

Utah divorce attorney Dena L. Morgan
Utah divorce attorney Dena L. Morgan

You should have several options available to you. You want to act quickly if you want to avoid continuing to pay for a child that may not be your responsibility.

If a state agency is collecting child support, then ask them if they will provide you with a DNA test.

There are also DNA test kits that you can order online and submit for analysis. Some require hair from both you and the child, which you mail in for testing. If you see the child, that should be a fairly simple method of conducting your own DNA test.

Alternatively, you can file a paternity action with the courts and ask that they order a DNA test.

Most courts will not adjudicate you as the father of a child without your acquiescence or a DNA test.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than general paternity tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your circumstances.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Utah divorce lawyer Dena L. Morgan, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *