Divorce Advice For Dads: Traveling Out Of State With Children

traveling out of stateBy Sara Pitcher

Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer

Traveling with your children can seem like a great way to relax and enjoy quality time together.

However, if you and the children’s mother are no longer together, traveling out of the state with the minor children may require a few additional steps.

If you are planning a trip with the children, be sure to plan the trip far enough in advance so that you have ample time to complete all of the necessary requirements.

Review Your Divorce Decree

The first step you should take would be to review the documents describing the child custody arrangements. They may state requirements such as seeking permission from the court to leave the state with the children.

If you are required to complete this step, you will need to file a written request with the court to leave the state with the children. This may be a good precautionary step to take regardless of whether it is expressly written in any orders of the court.

Notify Your Ex-Wife

You will also want to notify the other party that you would like to travel with the children. You should provide her with a travel itinerary including dates, locations where you will be staying, and contact information for where you will be staying in the event of an emergency.

While traveling alone with your children may require several additional steps, it can often be accomplished with permission from the court or permission is received from the opposing party.

Cordell & Cordell has divorce lawyers for men located nationwide.

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerTo arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Divorce Advice For Dads: Traveling Out Of State With Children

    That’s pretty bad when you have to hand “permission” to take your kids in vacation, like you’re some kind of child asking for permission from their parents, apparently the court’s have forgotten that a man is just as responsible for making and raising a child as a woman…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *