Divorce Advice: Paying For Children’s Health Insurance

Mens divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife has a children’s health saving plan and the kids are on her plan.

If the kids are on her plan, why am I ordered to pay $85 a month for health insurance and be responsible for half of all medical bills?

Isn’t the money I pay for insurance supposed to go toward the bills anyway?


This answer only includes general divorce help for men since I am only licensed to practice in Missouri and am thus unable to provide any legal advice on divorce on the laws in your state.

Unfortunately, employer health savings plans are paid for directly by the employee. If your divorce decree orders that you pay $85 for health insurance and your ex-wife’s health insurance is $85 a month then you are not contributing to the health savings plan.

Your ex-wife will have to pay an additional portion of money out of her paycheck to cover the health savings plan. Therefore, any bills for the children that are paid for out of monies associated with the plan are still 50% your responsibility.

Please understand that my opinions are based upon the limited facts that you provided to me. For a more in depth discussion of your legal rights and legal advice on divorce, I urge you to contact a family law attorney immediately.

To set up an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Michelle Hughes, an Associate Attorney in the Jefferson County, Missouri office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *