Do errors in the petition for divorce have any effect on the case?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My wife has filed for divorce against me but she used an incorrect middle name for me. She put James, but my middle name is Joseph. This is not a divorce I want so I’m wondering if this error has any effect on the filing?



First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in your state, so I am unable to provide any specific advice to your question as I am unfamiliar with the facts of your case and the relevant laws.

In most states, a general error in the style or heading of the case will not automatically get the case dismissed. Usually, the Court will allow a party to correct their pleading or you would be allowed to correct the pleading in your response. In no-fault divorce states, it won’t matter that you don’t want the divorce; your wife will be granted a divorce.

You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to get more specific advice to your question.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kent., office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *