Do I Have To Pay Child Support If We’re Not Divorced Yet?

child supportQuestion:

My wife recently moved out of the house and took our 7-year-old with her. She is also requesting that I pay her child support.

Am I obligated to pay child support even if we’re not divorced yet?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

Generally, you are obligated to provide reasonable support for your child if he is no longer living with you. Even if a divorce, legal separation, or child custody action is not initiated, a party having custody of minor children may be able to seek child support from the non-custodial parent.

Diana Megalla attorney New Jersey
New Jersey divorce lawyer Diana Megalla

However, absent a voluntary agreement between the parties, until she files a motion to the court you will not be obligated to pay the amount she requests.

Therefore, although there is no support order yet, you should contribute to your child’s expenses, which essentially means paying child support.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including New Jersey divorce lawyer Diana Megalla, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.