Do I Need A QDRO To Transfer Retirement Accounts To My Ex-Wife?

divorce lawyer Daniel ExnerQuestion:

My ex-wife and I divided our retirement accounts in a manner that was approved by the divorce court.

Even though the final asset division accounted for two retirement accounts (one for each of us), my ex-wife was assigned her portion of the assets through only my IRA account.

Do I need a Qualified Domestic Relation Order to transfer money from my IRA to my ex-wife?


Since I am only licensed to practice law in Wisconsin, I can only provide you with general divorce help for men to your divorce laws question.

Given the facts provided, I believe you may have taken all the necessary steps and the account should be divided without the need for a Qualified Domestic Relation Order.

Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) are one of the few retirement accounts that do not require Qualified Domestics Relation Orders to be divided. As opposed to a 401(k), an IRA is individually created and funded through a financial institution.

Financial Advice On Divorce:

How To Handle Retirement Plans

Typically, your bank will have specific forms to effectuate an IRA division. I would contact your local branch for more information.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

Cordell & Cordell has men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide. To schedule an appointment with a divorce attorney, including Milwaukee Divorce Lawyer Daniel Exner, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *