Do I pay child support if both the child and mother are living with me?

divorce attorney Jill DuffyQuestion:

I am an unwed father living with my girlfriend and our child. Even though we are living together, she thinks I should be paying her child support since we are not married.

Do I have to pay child support if the child is living with me?


First, let me preface my answer by stating that I am only licensed to practice law in Michigan. The information in the article is general in nature. You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction immediately to discuss your options.

In most states, you do no have an obligation to pay child support if the child resides with you. It is presumed that you are paying for the child to live when it lives in your household.

Until there is a court order for child support, you do not have an obligation to pay support. If your girlfriend seeks to get child support she will have to petition the court and a child support formula will compute the correct amount of support to be paid.

Each state has its own child support calculator that will provide an estimated amount of your monthly child support. Visit the Child Support Calculator for a rough estimate of potential child support payments.

Cordell & Cordell represents men in divorce nationwide.


Jill A. Duffy is an Associate Attorney in the Troy, Mich., office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in the state of Michigan. Ms. Duffy received her BA in Psychology and Spanish and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Oakland University. She received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

End of Content Icon

3 comments on “Do I pay child support if both the child and mother are living with me?

    If me and my fiancee have a child together and living together and he’s the one that pays all the bills does he have to pay child support?

    My boyfriend was married in 2004 he and his wife broke up because she kept cheating on him. They never legally got divorced he has one daughter with her and he is on her other daughters birth certificate but is not the father she just became homeless and we let her move in how can this effect him to get a divorce and pay child support and how much would a lawyer roughly cost?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *