Does my ex have to notify me when she wants to move to another state?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My ex-wife lives in Florida with my daughter, and I live in Virginia.

Is there a notification requirement whereby my ex would have to inform me if she decides to move to another state?



First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Florida or Virginia. Cordell & Cordell does have attorneys who are licensed to practice in Florida who would be happy to discuss your case with you.

This is one of the most prevalent issues in domestic relations today because it is easier to relocate to another state then it ever has been. The issue that arises is that the original order or agreement was made based on the fact that you live in Virginia and your ex-spouse lives in Florida. If she moves to Colorado, it may make certain aspects of the order or agreement impossible to follow.

Each state handles the relocation of a parent differently. You should check with an attorney who is licensed in your jurisdiction to find out if there is a notification requirement for move or if she has to seek permission of the court.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *