Ex-Wife Ignores Child Custody Orders

Question:Colorado Divorce Attorney

My ex-wife and I share child custody, but she repeatedly ignores the court orders.

She will bring my children around certain family members that the court has ordered her not to because of their criminal past.

She also denies my court-ordered communication with our child and sometimes gives me phone numbers that aren’t even working.

She even refuses to supply me with her tax records, even though if I refuse to do the same I am threatened with being in contempt.

How can I get my ex-wife to abide by the court order?


While I am not licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, I can provide you with some general divorce help for men regarding your divorce question.

If the mother of your child is violating the court order by taking the child to places where she is prohibited or is withholding communication that is court ordered, it may be proper to file a motion to enforce your court order or a motion for contempt, as your ex-wife is violating your court order.

I feel that the safety issue regarding the child visiting certain family members is quite important and if you have concerns, it is best to be proactive. Also, the phone issue is a valid issue and the court’s generally disfavor a parent discouraging communication between the other parent and the child.

DadsDivorce Live:

Contempt of Court

It appears that you each have the right to request updated employment/income information from each other. I would review your specific divorce orders regarding any such disclosures and the process required to request the information.

If you need her information, I would request it from her pursuant to your court orders. The court may not know that you need her information and that she is failing to produce it. They may only know that she has requested your information.

If the court has indicated you will be in contempt for not providing such information, it is likely best to comply with the order so as to avoid any further problems or issues. Contempt penalties may include fines and or jail time.

If your ex-wife also continues to refuse to disclose her information to you, you may file a motion with the court asking the court to enforce your court orders.

Record-keeping is very important and a journal of incidents is a good start. Also, if you have emails, communications via letter, witnesses, or other supporting evidence, these types of things can help bolster your arguments in court. I would document as much as possible in writing.

Again, I am unable to provide you with legal advice on divorce and this should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a mens divorce attorney for advice on divorce.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce lawyer, including Maile Kobayashi, a Boulder Divorce Lawyer, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *