Ex-Wife Not Paying Divorce Settlement Money I Was Awarded

divorce lawyer Kara GuzzettiQuestion:

My ex-wife has not paid any of the settlement money I was awarded in our divorce decree.

She also has continued to not contribute any financial support to me while I am still paying the mortgage on the home where she is living.

How can I get my ex-wife to pay me the money I was awarded in our divorce settlement?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Where I practice, the best course of action would be to file a petition to enforce your property settlement agreement and compel payment of the money that your ex-wife owes you under the terms of your agreement.

You could attempt to file a petition to modify the terms of the property settlement agreement compelling her to either pay for the house or sell it.

However, courts are generally extremely hesitant to modify the terms of a property settlement agreement and you are more likely to be successful compelling payment of the amount owed.

Since she is failing to abide by the terms of the agreement, if you do file a petition, then it may be worth requesting she pay interest on the money owed and that she be compelled to contribute to the cost of any attorney’s fees you incur as a result of having to file the petition.

Divorce Resources:

Property Division Laws

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Kara Guzzetti, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *