Financial Advice On Divorce: Alimony Modification Because Of Remarriage

divorce lawyer Tamara HoffstatterQuestion:

I’m looking for financial advice on divorce on the chances my alimony payments will be decreased based on my remarriage.

Since I am going to be financially responsible for another wife and more children, can I get an alimony modification?


Please note that I am not licensed in your state so I am unable to provide specific financial advice on divorce or legal advice on divorce.

In Michigan (where I practice) as in many states, the determination of how much alimony is to be paid is based on a number of factors, including the parties’ financial ability to pay.

Any changes in your financial situation, including the addition of another child into your family, can decrease the amount of spousal support you are ordered to make.

In order to address the decrease in the alimony that you are required to pay, you would need to file a motion with the court to modify the spousal support order based on the changed circumstances.

If you need advice on divorce, or wish to take specific action in this matter, you need to contact an attorney immediately for assistance. Cordell & Cordell does represent clients nationwide.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Tamara Hoffstatter, an attorney in the Troy, Michigan, office of Cordell & Cordell, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *