Giving Approval To An Ex To Take The Child To A Psychologist


Per our parenting plan, my daughter is on my ex-wife’s insurance policy as it is the most cost-effective. We split the monthly premium.

I recently took my daughter to see a child psychologist, which upset my ex-wife. Nowhere in the parenting plan does it say we have to both agree to this.

My ex told the psychologist that she would only give “permission” to bill the insurance if she agreed my daughter needed that appointment.

Can she do this? If I am paying for the insurance, too, can she deny me use of it if she doesn’t like how I use it?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Michigan divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Your question is a unique one where the parent with the insurance coverage on the minor child is attempting to block access to medical care for procedures and/or appointments by refusing to give approval.

Does your ex-wife have the authority to do this? Unless her insurance company has an agreement with you allowing your authorization, the answer is yes she can deny this coverage, pursuant to her insurance carrier. However, it may not be authorized under your divorce decree.

You do not detail what your child custody arrangement is in your question, but I am assuming that you have joint legal custody of your daughter, which allows you to make decisions regarding her medical care.

If this is true, then when there is a dispute between the parties regarding this care, the court will make this decision for the child. Counseling is very common for children after a divorce proceeding, and it is probably in the best interest of your daughter.

It is likely that if counseling and/or a psychologist is recommended by your child’s doctor, her teachers, or if she has exhibited behavior wherein she would benefit from a counselor, the court will grant your request.

I would recommend that you bring this to the court’s attention. The court can order the counseling continue and address this issue of your ex-wife’s refusing insurance coverage for the child when she disagrees with the medical care – where you pay for half of this coverage.

The court may order that she is specifically prohibited from this action, and therefore subject her to sanctions and/or contempt proceedings if she attempts such actions again in the future.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Ann Arbor Divorce Lawyer Laura D. Langenburg, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Giving Approval To An Ex To Take The Child To A Psychologist

    My ex husband is the legal (not bio) father of my son’s. He supposedly rigned his rights away, but government issued business still say even though I keep full custody, that in order to get the boys counseling I need his written consent and that first counseling meeting for our boy’s must involve both me and my ex husband “Mr. Neville.” That I am aware if he his locked up so I don’t even know how to contact him right now. But our kids desperately need to see a counselor, and I need help on how to do this..this is about the childrens best interest, nothing else. He is using it against me because I won’t take him back.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *