How can I force my ex-wife to give me information she won’t provide about her job?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

My divorce decree states that if my ex-wife’s unemployment benefits run out then I am required to pay her that amount. She is telling me her unemployment benefits have run out, but I have reason to believe that she is still collecting unemployment checks.

Is there a way for me to verify if she is still receiving unemployment benefits?


First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of California, so I am unable to provide you with any specific advice as it relates to your question.

Every state is different when it comes to the ability of one party to discover information from the other party and when they may request such documentation. You should review the California Rules of Civil Procedure with regards to discovery and you should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction to find out what you may obtain from your ex-wife.

In addition, you could always request the Court to make her provide documentation of the expiration date of her benefits, but I would recommend starting with an attorney first.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky, office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *