How Can I Move Our Divorce And Custody Case?

St. Louis divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife is moving to another state with our children, and we would like to move jurisdiction of our divorce and child custody case to that state since neither of us live in the state where we were divorced.

She is the custodial parent though we technically have joint child custody.

How can I move our case to another state, and what would be the approximate cost of doing so?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

In general, you would need to register your previous divorce decree and/or child custody order with the state where your ex-wife and child now reside. Where I practice, once the divorce decree has been registered with the state, this decree “has the same effect and shall be enforced in like manner as a custody decree rendered by a court of this state.”

Registering a foreign judgment and/or modifying a foreign judgment in my state currently has a filing fee of $129.

Read Related Articles:

Jurisdiction In Divorce Cases

However, in order to register/modify a foreign judgment, specific court procedures must be followed pursuant to the state divorce laws. Therefore, it is in your best interests to contact a mens divorce attorney in the state you would like to register the order in to help you with this matter.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including St. Louis Divorce Lawyer Brittany Brown, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *