Do I Pay If Child Support Receipts that Don’t Add Up?

Question:maribel cruz attorney texas

My ex-wife refuses to provide her work schedule and sends me bills for an excessive amount of daycare and babysitting fees each month. Typically, these will be the equivalent of twelve-day work weeks with 10 to 14 hours of work a night.

I know this cannot be correct because my child is with me for at least a third of her time. In addition, the child support receipts are handwritten.

Am I obligated to pay these costs?


I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of that state and can only provide you with general tips on divorce.

You must first look to your orders regarding this issue. If your orders require that you must pay these expenses, you may be required to do so. Review your orders in detail and determine exactly what your requirement includes. If your orders are vague in any way, then your requirement to pay these expenses may not be enforceable. Determine what you are required to do, what she is required to provide prior to your payment and when she is required to provide you with receipts.

If any of those items are vague, you may not be held responsible for paying. However, you are walking a very tight rope in proceeding in this way because you can be wrong in your assessment. If you are wrong, you may be found in contempt for failure to comply with an order. This finding could amount to a fine and/or jail time.

I would first suggest that you consult with a lawyer to determine your best course of action. Your attorney may ask that you modify the orders to account for this behavior and ensure that your orders are specific in its requirement for you to pay.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Texas divorce lawyer Maribel Cruz, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *