If I Pay Child Support Will I Automatically Have Visitation As An Unwed Father?

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

I have several children born out of wedlock and I would like to set up child support with my ex-girlfriend so that I can exercise visitation.

If I start paying child support does the mother have to grant me visitation and set a child custody arrangement?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Oklahoma divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

In general, in order to be able to have visitation with your children you would have to file a paternity action to establish that you are the legal father of the children and to ask the court to make a determination as to child custody and parenting time.

Just being ordered to pay child support does not give you a set visitation schedule. This action will have to be file in the home state of the children.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Oklahoma Divorce Lawyer Kristy Kapp, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *